skip to content



Here you will find a wealth of practical information which will assist you in your initial days of working for the University.

Getting around

The University extends across Cambridge City Centre. The University Map is a useful means of identifying where the University is located.

The University's Estate Management provide detail on travel matters, including the University's bus.


Getting paid

Salaries are paid to all staff on the 26th of the month, unless this falls on a weekend or bank holiday when the pay day will be brought forward to the Friday. If you have not been asked to provide your bank details prior to appointment, you should complete the CHRIS/22 form. This should be sent to you with your offer letter. Please note that non-completion of this form will delay payment. If you have any queries about your pay you should contact the Payroll Section. Payroll also arrange collection of statutory deductions from pay, processing of salary sacrifice deductions and administers the Travel to Work scheme. For more information please see Pay and Benefits.


Employee Self-Service

Employee Self-Service (ESS) allows you direct access to some of your data held in the Human Resources system, CHRIS (Cambridge Human Resources Information System) and the University Payroll system.

Employee Self-service enables staff to:

  • Supply HESA (Higher Education Statistics Agency) personal data
  • View and download online payslips
  • Add or amend contact details
  • Start receiving email notification of payslip availability
  • View absence data
  • View changes made through the ESS system
  • View P60

You will need a Raven password to access ESS. If you do not currently have a Raven password, you will need to apply for one. Once you have a Raven password, if you experience any difficulty accessing ESS, please contact the CHRIS Helpdesk: tel. 60999, email Please review your data periodically to keep it up to date. Changes you make via ESS are updated in the CHRIS system with immediate effect. We ask employees to supply HESA details in order to comply with statutory reporting requirements determined by the Higher Education Statistics Agency. HESA is the agency responsible for collecting staff and other data from publicly funded Universities in the UK. As a publicly funded University we are obliged to ask staff to complete this data, even if they chose the ‘prefer not to say option’, however we would not force a member of staff to provide details if they chose not to do so. 



The University's Pensions Section manages the following pension schemes:

  • Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS)
  • Cambridge University Assistants' Contributory Pension Scheme (CPS)
  • National Health Service Pension Scheme (NHSPS)
  • Cambridge Colleges' Federated Pension Scheme (CCFPS)
  • Medical Research Pension Scheme (MRCPS)

Employees who are eligible for membership of USS and the CPS will receive a welcome pack with information about the relevant pension scheme shortly after they are paid for the first time. This will include information on how to opt out of the scheme. Unfortunately, it is not possible to opt out of the scheme until the information pack has been received.