skip to content




For employees who are new to Cambridge, there are a range of services and benefits including a Relocation Policy, the Accommodation Service and a Newcomer and Visiting Scholars Society.

The Accommodation Service

The Accommodation Service exists to help all members of Cambridge University, from students and academics to staff and visiting scholars, to find suitable accommodation across the city. It can advise on rents, letting arrangements and tenancy agreements, as well as information on schools, banking, medical practices and other local facilities.

The University owns accommodation which is available for University members and staff of affiliated institutions to rent. Eddington (North West Cambridge Development) is a brand new district located 2km northwest of the city centre of Cambridge. The area has a supermarket, nursery, primary school, the award-winning Storey’s Field Centre for community and arts events, a playground, sports pitches, and Brook Leys parkland. Residents have access to regular subsidised buses to West Cambridge, the city centre, railway station and Addenbrooke’s; in addition to hundreds of secure bike parking spaces and communal garden areas. Find out more by visiting


Additional support is offered to those new to Cambridge via the Newcomers and Visiting Scholars Group. It helps newly arrived wives, husbands, partners and families of Visiting Scholars and Senior Members of the University to settle in Cambridge and gives them an opportunity to meet local people.

Recruitment and the Right to Work

The University has a responsibility to ensure that all its employees have the legal right to live and work in the UK. Therefore, if an applicant receives an offer of employment, this will be subject to the University verifying that they are eligible to work in the UK before they start work.

If you successfully apply for a position then, prior to an agreed start date, all new employees will receive a welcome letter outlining the arrangements for their first day along with a copy of their induction schedule.

New employees should seek clarification from the Human Resources Division if they have not received a welcome letter.

Relocation Assistance

The University provides financial assistance with relocation costs for moves within the UK and from overseas. The scheme is open to all newly appointed centrally funded staff on appointments of two years or more. The scheme does not include staff transferring to a new post within the University, nor does it include those who have been promoted. New employees should seek clarification from the Human Resources Division to check whether they are eligible for the scheme.

Reimbursement is available for moves within the UK provided your previous residence is not within reasonable daily travelling distance, and as a consequence of the move you are changing your main residence rather than acquiring a second home. However, reimbursements must be claimed within HM Revenue and Customs time limits, see UK Taxation Implications paragraph.

Further details on the relocation expenses scheme are available here.